Tarot: An artists' vision of the future
An international group show in Brussels & Paris
Petits Papiers - Brussels: Thursday 27th of May - 18.00 hrs - Opening
Brüsel - Brussels: Friday 28th of May - 15.00 - 18.00 hrs - Signing
Petits Papiers - Paris: Saturday 29th of May - 18.00 hrs - Opening group exhibit personal work
Petits Papiers - Paris: Sunday 30th of May - 14.00 - 17.00 hrs - Signing
What happens when you ask 10 of the best international artists their own personal interpretation of a Tarot card? You get 10 visually stunning and emotionally challenging views on how each artist sees the future based on his interpretation of each card in combination with his creative association process.
Artists from all over the world participated in this project:
· Mike Dringenberg: Stood at the cradle of Neil Gaiman's the renowned Sandman series and made some superb paintings which might compete with the grand classics of Symbolism
· Jeff Faerber: Young illustration artist, student of Barron Storey, made 5 earthtoned cards combined with a very personal and lighthearted proza
· Joshua Hagler: Rising artistic San Fransisco talent, represented by art galleries in the US and Europe, made large oil paintings reflecting his philosophical views on the world we live in.
· Sam Kieth: With Mike Dringenberg, gave shape to the Sandman's world and wanted to step out of comics and illustration till this project came along (although he still wants us to burn his art at the opening of the show).
· Miran Kim: Only lady of the group, surprised the established comic world with her strong debut. Her cards lean towards the immensely popular low-brow trend in art; colorful and playful.
· David Mack: Changed the world of comics by completely changing the conventions of the medium by fully incorporating mixed media techniques into the story. World famous for his series, Kabuki, an atypical interpretation of the superhero, Daredevil.
· Barron Storey: Described by many as the only living genius of illustration. Inspiration for Bill Sienkiewicz and Dave McKean, teacher of giants like George Pratt and Kent Williams, and asked by Neil Gaiman to give his interpretation of Sandman character Despair. Barron created 20 stunning pieces of art for this show.
· Tin: Using his incredibly detailed steampunk creations as a backdrop, he paints women who find themselves interacting with beguiling machines and sometimes disturbingly adorable creatures, as if doing so is the most natural thing in the world.
· John Watkiss: Only UK resident participating; painter, illustrator, and comic artist, created 5 hyper-stylish cards resembling stained glass creations which can fit straight into any European historical building.
· Ashley Wood: The top talent from down-under. After more then 30 months working with Ash on this project, we finally managed to get one card created... But what a card !!! This large stunner reflects the best of Ash' art. Raw and dark, that's how we like it.
Brussels will host the full Tarot exhibition while we managed also to mount a group exhibition (non-Tarot) with the same artists in Paris.
Artists present during the openings and signing sessions: Mike Dringenberg, Jeff Faerber, Joshua Hagler, Miran Kim, David Mack, and Barron Storey
BRUSSELS: TAROT AN ARTISTS' VISION OF THE FUTURE (May 27th - August 21st)
Thursday 27th May - 18.00 hrs: Opening of Tarot art exhibition (including live Tarot reading performance and burning of Sam Kieth's art) Petits Papiers - 1 Place Fontainas - 1000 Brussels PetitsPapiers.be
Friday 28th May - 15.00 till 18.00: Signing session at Brüsel - Boulevard Anspach 100 - 1000 Brussels Brusel.com
PARIS: AMERICANS IN PARIS (May 29th - August 21st)
Saturday 29th May - 18.00 hrs: Opening of Group exhibition at Petits Papiers - Village Saint-Honoré, 91 Rue Saint Honoré - 75001 Paris PetitsPapiers.be
Sunday 30th May - 14.00 - 17.00 hrs: Signing session at Petits Papiers - Village Saint-Honoré, 91 Rue Saint Honoré - 75001 Paris PetitsPapiers.be
Exhibition organized by Graphicnovelart & Petits Papiers