Sandman Portfolio Benefits CBLDF In Comic-Con Auction
The CBLDF is proud to announce the Sandman Original Art Auction at Comic-Con International: San Diego, on Saturday July 16. A centerpiece of the Fund's gala auction, the Sandman portfolio brings together original pieces from artists like Dave Sim, Mike Dringenberg and David Mack for a very worthy cause - supporting and protecting the free-speech rights of comic book artists and their industry.
This project was began by Michelle Larsen as an auction item for last year's Fiddler's Green Convention. It was initially planned that all of the art would be sold as a single "Sandman sketchbook", and featured pieces from Dave Sim, Dave Gibbons, Peter Gross, Teri S. Wood, Charles Vess, and more. However, the sketchbook did not meet its reserve, so it was decided to make it even bigger and better for Comic Con International. The Sketchbook passed into the hands of Ryan Graff, where addtional art from Mike Dringenberg, David Mack, Gary Amaro and John Watkiss was added. And thusly, we come to it: The final Sandman Original Art items up for auction:
1. Death sketch lot 1 featuring art from Slave Labor Graphics artists Christopher, of Ghoulie Boys and Roman Dirge of Lenore; also featuring Sandman Inker and Deadworld Artist Vince Locke. The pieces for your reference:
2. Sandman sketch lot 2 featuring "Dream King" from Bone creator Jeff Smith and Sandman by Charles Vess (Sandman 19 and 75).
3. Sandman artists commission lot 1, featuring Sandman and Death by Gary Amaro (Sandman 56), and Sandman by Bryan Talbot (Sandman 30, 36, 51-56, and the Sandman Special).
4. Sandman artists commission lot 2, featuring Sandman by Gary Amaro Sandman 56) and Sandman by John Watkiss (Sandman 39 and 52).
5. Sandman commissions lot featuring Sandman by Greg Ruth (Freaks of the Heartland, Conan) and Death by Peter Gross (The Books of Magic, Chosen).
6. Sandman and Matthew pen and Ink commission by Teri S. Wood (Wandering Star).
7. Credited as a co-creator of Sandman, and responsible for the visual appearance of several members of the Endless, Mike Dringenberg has donated a painted piece titled "Sayat", which will also be featured in this year's upcoming "Aphrodisia" annual.
8. Kabuki writer/creator/artist David Mack has donated a gorgeous Death watercolor:
9. Another comics legend, going 300 issues strong, "Cerebus" creator Dave Sim contributes a magnificent pen and ink piece featuring Swoon, Sim's Sandman parody.
These items will be auctioned off on Saturday July 16 as the Fund's Gala auction, beginning at 7 PM in Room 8 of the San Diego Convention Center. If you can't make it to the show, the Fund is accepting sealed bids until Saturday, July 16 at 3 PM Pacific Time. To bid send an e-mail to email@example.com with the words "sealed bid" in the subject line. In the body, include the item you wish to bid on, your bid amount, a valid credit card number, and a phone number at which you can be reached. All sealed bids will be shredded following the auction, and the files deleted. If you have any questions, please e-mail Charles Brownstein at the above address.
This is a great auction for a great cause, so bid generously!
The Comic Book Legal Defense Fund was founded in 1986 as a 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation of First Amendment rights for members of the comics community. Donations and inquiries should be directed to the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund at P.O. Box 693, Northampton, MA 01061.
For additional information, call 800-99-CBLDF or e-mail the CBLDF staff.
271 Madison Avenue, Suite 1400
New York, NY 10016